Improving Huntington’s Bulkheads
- Councilwoman Berland sponsored legislation to improve the new bulkhead at Halesite Park.
Installing “No Wake” Buoys
Councilwoman Berland sponsored legislation that allowed the Town of Huntington to accept a donation to fund two large “No Wake” buoys from the Greater Huntington Council of Yacht and Boating Clubs for the Department of Maritime Services.
Taking a Strong Stand for Boater Safety and Education
- Councilwoman Berland has repeatedly sponsored legislation to urge the New York State Legislature to mandate boater safety courses before issuing boating licenses. Most recently she co-sponsored a resolution, at the recommendation of the Boating Safety and Education Committee of the Harbors and Boating Advisory Council, to urge the State Legislature to enact legislation that mandates all owners/operators of watercraft to undertake state approved boating safety training and be licensed or certified in order to operate such craft in New York State waters.
- Councilwoman Berland co-sponsored a resolution to declare May 18-24, 2013 “Town of Huntington Safe Boating Week,” at the request of the Greater Huntington Council of Yacht and Boating Clubs, in an effort to continue to promote boating safety in the Town of Huntington.
Advocating for Marine Research and Education
Councilwoman Berland supported the Town of Huntington funding a marine research and education facility at the Vanderbilt Museum in Centerport. Berland continues to encourage a Town program that provides bilge stocks to boaters in a further effort to keep harbors clean.
Supporting Huntington’s Lighthouse
Councilwoman Berland has urged both the County of Nassau and the Hempstead Town Board to support the Lighthouse Project.
Revitalizing Huntington’s Waterfront
Councilwoman Berland continually sponsors and supports legislation that protects and revitalizes Huntington’s harbors.
- Regulated the Local Waterfront Revitalization Plan for the coastal areas of the Town of Huntington.
- Restored wildlife along the coast of Huntington, which enhanced the number of shellfish along the waterfront of the Town of Huntington.